Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 981

Yet again, I'm left baffled by God's plan for our lives.  Today, my Grandpa G (dad's dad) passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack.  He was a pretty healthy 73 year old guy and very happy.  Christmas was his favorite time of year, as he l-o-v-e-d to put on his Santa suit and make good use of the beard he's been growing since I was a toddler.  It was seriously a life calling for him.  Kids would "recognize" him out at dinner and he'd just wave and say hello...I sometimes felt like I was with a celebrity. :-P

I'm thankful that my Grandma was there with him (that he wasn't driving, alone, or outside) when it happened.  My mom had just called them (they live in Ohio) to talk to them about the snow just a few hours before.  He simply went outside to get their trash cans (strong winds blowing through), then came back inside to continue playing his games on the laptop.  When Grandma came back in the room, he was slumped over on top of the laptop.  She did CPR on him for 20 minutes.  Due to the snow, it took the paramedics about half an hour to get to them.  We believe he had already passed at that point since even the paddle shock didn't revive him.

Even though I'm sitting here typing this out, it doesn't seem real at all.  We just saw everyone on Sunday!  Grandpa and I took a funny picture because I won some money on a scratch off lottery card he gave me for Christmas.  He was in great spirits, healthy, and happy.  I honestly think I'm still in funeral mode / numb / tired from all of Grandma's (mom's mom) funeral events, since that was just earlier this month (seems like 3 months ago).  I just feel horrible for my Grandma.  She's always with him; they were always together.  She just retired too, so they're supposed to be taking it easy together and enjoying retirement!  I think the sweetest thing is this: after my Grandma Pat passed about a month ago, we talked about what they would want in the event of their passing.  Grandpa said that his big thing was to not put out any photos of him in his Santa suit so any children present wouldn't think that Santa died.  Considerate even in death.

If you would, please pray for my family.  This is almost a 180 from my Grandma Pat's passing.  Grandpa was healthy and didn't have a prolonged illness at all.  None of us were prepared for this, and no arrangements had been made.  It's going to be a rough few weeks for everyone, but especially Grandma, Dad, and my aunts.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Hopefully, my mom can work her magic as she always does to get arrangements made and keep everyone in high spirits.
I've already told my Grandpa (mom's dad - the one I see all the time) and will say to my Grandma (dad's mom - in Ohio) to not get any ideas.  We're on a roll of one a month and really don't need it to continue.

Last thought: he passed quickly and on the day after Christmas.  Could Santa ask for anything more?  I think not.

No comments:

Followers

Total Pageviews

Labels

5 things (8) adventure (11) airport (2) alabama (3) animals (27) April Photo Challenge (30) Austin TX (6) autumn (23) awesome (41) baking with brie (23) beach (28) Biltmore Estate (51) black and white (112) Bloomington (89) BPS (2) broad ripple (32) bubbles (1) business (1) California (93) camera (1) challenge (2) Chicago (13) Christmas (31) church (9) Colorado (1) country (36) dance party (8) deviantART (1) downtown (133) dramatic (2) exercise (3) fall (14) family (48) Florida (64) flowers (103) friends (344) fun (52) glamor shots (10) goals (10) guest blogger (2) home (141) humor (11) IMA (21) Indy North Side (42) kids (61) kitties (7) Las Vegas (22) Make-A-Wish (3) me (20) miscellaneous (13) model (8) music (24) myrtle beach (17) nature (124) Ohio (9) Oregon (1) philanthropy (1) photography (43) pigs (1) polyvore (1) reunion (7) roadtrip (3) roncalli (9) Seattle (22) senior pictures (4) shopping (2) silly (18) simple (20) snow (4) South Bend (3) sports (15) STL (13) summer (19) sunshine (2) tennessee (3) travel (429) triplets (8) vacation (33) Washington (4) water (41) wedding (130) wedding info (3) winter (9) work (4) yummy food (94)

Blog Archive