Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 237

Remember Halloween?  Yeah, that was almost a month ago.  Well, I decided to try my hand at baking these cute little mummy cookies.  They weren't the best or worst thing ever, and I definitely learned a few things.  Scroll along for a photo tutorial...

I got to use my new Silpat for the first time!  I just used a circle cookie cutter.  I'd advise adding some sort of flavoring to the cookies or the icing.  They were pretty bland as the point is presentation, not flavor.  Why not go for both, ya know?

Ooooh, golden brown.  This is what I like to see!

The original recipe tells you how to make royal icing.  I bought a pre-made dry ingredient bag while at Ms. B's Sweet Supplies.  Thought process: let's not make my first attempt at this any harder than it has to be.

The original recipe also made the "skin" black.  I don't have any of the good food coloring gel in black (yet), so I figured a good, creepy green would still do the trick.

Oh yes, I love my new cooling racks.  They can stack ON TOP of each other.  Totally awesome.
These little guys have the best version of the royal icing.  You can actually tell that they're bandages!

I added some red to look like cuts/gashes.  I had a bunch of leftover red icing.  As I went along, the icing looked less and less like I'd have enough.  I added a little water, but that ended up being too much, and the icing wasn't as stiff.

Everyone kept asking me if they were supposed to be little Santa cookies.  No, no they are not Santa cookies.  Darn it.

Some red eyes to up the creepy factor.

The best version of the royal icing.  Isn't he cute? :)

The original that I was attempting to recreate.  You can find the recipe here on Annie's Eats.  She's a fantastic baker, cook, and blogger right here in Indy.  Plus, she's a mom and a doctor!  Whew.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I say great attempt! Those are super cute!!

Followers

Total Pageviews

Labels

5 things (8) adventure (11) airport (2) alabama (3) animals (27) April Photo Challenge (30) Austin TX (6) autumn (23) awesome (41) baking with brie (23) beach (28) Biltmore Estate (51) black and white (112) Bloomington (89) BPS (2) broad ripple (32) bubbles (1) business (1) California (93) camera (1) challenge (2) Chicago (13) Christmas (31) church (9) Colorado (1) country (36) dance party (8) deviantART (1) downtown (133) dramatic (2) exercise (3) fall (14) family (48) Florida (64) flowers (103) friends (344) fun (52) glamor shots (10) goals (10) guest blogger (2) home (141) humor (11) IMA (21) Indy North Side (42) kids (61) kitties (7) Las Vegas (22) Make-A-Wish (3) me (20) miscellaneous (13) model (8) music (24) myrtle beach (17) nature (124) Ohio (9) Oregon (1) philanthropy (1) photography (43) pigs (1) polyvore (1) reunion (7) roadtrip (3) roncalli (9) Seattle (22) senior pictures (4) shopping (2) silly (18) simple (20) snow (4) South Bend (3) sports (15) STL (13) summer (19) sunshine (2) tennessee (3) travel (429) triplets (8) vacation (33) Washington (4) water (41) wedding (130) wedding info (3) winter (9) work (4) yummy food (94)

Blog Archive