Thursday, August 16, 2007

being dramatic

I love taking dramatic pictures. The best ones occur when I get a shot of something simple, then play with the shadows when I get it back on my computer. Black and white has always been my favorite; it's both simple yet dramatic. Ansel Adams captured some of the most beautiful landscapes in the western United States on film in black and white. It truly blows my mind that such stunning photographs could be taken without editing or enhancement. This photo is one I am always trying to replicate in my own way. I love how the tree stands out against the dark forest so vividly. Maybe I'll have the opportunity someday to spend a few weeks out west just doing landscape photography. I wouldn't mind it at all.

Some of my favorite black and white shots that I have captured over the years have been in common places, at home or at school. It doesn't take a trip to a new and/or exotic place to inspire creativity, it can happen in everyday surroundings.

Not all black and white shots have to be within a nature setting. Switching over a group or couple shot instantly adds interest and elegance to the shot. Instead of being distracted by colors and backgrounds, you switch your focus to the body language, facial expressions, and emotions being expressed. I love black, white, and all the shades of gray in between.

No comments:

Followers

Total Pageviews

Labels

5 things (8) adventure (11) airport (2) alabama (3) animals (27) April Photo Challenge (30) Austin TX (6) autumn (23) awesome (41) baking with brie (23) beach (28) Biltmore Estate (51) black and white (112) Bloomington (89) BPS (2) broad ripple (32) bubbles (1) business (1) California (93) camera (1) challenge (2) Chicago (13) Christmas (31) church (9) Colorado (1) country (36) dance party (8) deviantART (1) downtown (133) dramatic (2) exercise (3) fall (14) family (48) Florida (64) flowers (103) friends (344) fun (52) glamor shots (10) goals (10) guest blogger (2) home (141) humor (11) IMA (21) Indy North Side (42) kids (61) kitties (7) Las Vegas (22) Make-A-Wish (3) me (20) miscellaneous (13) model (8) music (24) myrtle beach (17) nature (124) Ohio (9) Oregon (1) philanthropy (1) photography (43) pigs (1) polyvore (1) reunion (7) roadtrip (3) roncalli (9) Seattle (22) senior pictures (4) shopping (2) silly (18) simple (20) snow (4) South Bend (3) sports (15) STL (13) summer (19) sunshine (2) tennessee (3) travel (429) triplets (8) vacation (33) Washington (4) water (41) wedding (130) wedding info (3) winter (9) work (4) yummy food (94)

Blog Archive